Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Furthest North on Mainland Scotland

12th June 2011

At last we are heading NORTH, will be riding roads we have never ridden on before, which in my book is always a big + point.
For a long time I have wanted the visit The Emigrants statue in Helmsdale, and what a Statue it is, very thought provoking.
Helmsdale

Blue skies the colour of our flag, Scotland at its very best. 

The poles in front of the statue do have flags on them, from the main countries the Scots were forced to flee to.







The kilted man is looking ahead into an unknown future, while beside him a boy is looking up to him for guidance or reassurance. The woman, wrapped in a shawl, is holding a baby and is looking back towards the home they have been forced to leave.
The Emigrants

There is an identical statue in Winnipeg Canada where it has been named Selkirk Settlers Monument

I had heard a lot about the road we would be travelling on today and it was not without trepidation that I headed North to the Berriedale Braes, Mike said "nowt here could be worse than the alps" and he was right, it was just a wee hairpin and a steep bit.  Had a quick visit to the Whaligoe steps another historical place on my long list of Scottish places I need to visit, but didn't have long enough to explore, we will need to come back to have a better look around and a walk to the bottom and maybe a struggle back up them.

We are now in Caithness, but I didn't get the time to find any historical places to photograph so I am going to just bore you with a photo of our bikes waiting in the line for the ferry to Orkney.
Waiting for the Orkney Ferry
Oh WOW what roads we found today hardly any potholes, nice bends & curves 2 more counties visited on my Scottish quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment